Are you looking for a SEMrush tutorial and review?
I’m bringing you the World’s No.1 SEO tool that helps you with finding profitable PPC keywords, steal authority backlinks of your competitors, site health audit, and other tons of organic insights to boost your Google rankings.
Yes – That’s our favorite SEMrush.
SEMrush is one of the best SEO tools with robust features on the Internet, and honestly, I probably can’t cover everything about it with this guide.
In this article, I’m going to talk about, how SEMrush could help you make your website technical errors-free, improve traffic and of course, finding keywords that lead to a high conversion rate.
SEMrush tutorial & review
First things first,
What is SEMrush?
SEMrush is a SaaS(Software as a Service) tool that helps you discover your competitors, boost your SEO rankings, find money-making keywords, in auditing your site, analyzing traffic, SERPs tracking, backlinks, and a lot more.
It produces a massive amount of SEO data related to any website or URL with one single click.
According to SEMrush, the tool has already bagged 5M users, 18B keywords, 140 geodatabases, 720M domains, 17.3B URLs crawl every day and other stats worldwide.
The SEMrush keyword research tool dashboard
Well, the best way to understand is about SEMrush is, to go sign up for a 7-day Pro SEMrush trial and login to your dashboard. With it on your computer, you can go through this SEMrush tutorial and try out the different features parallelly.
I hope you do that.
The one secret I understood about SEO rankings is, with alone great content you cannot rule the search engines. You need backlinks, ranking algorithms, and most importantly, you need to keep an eye at your competitors to see what is working for them.
Peeping into the secrets of your competitors – This really works and achieve your digital goals eventually.
Let’s go by the SEMrush’s feature-by-feature for better understanding.
Alright, here is the main dashboard that you see when you sign in.
Do you see that search bar?
Yeah, that’s where you enter the URL for which you want to see the reports.
What kind of reports?
As of now, there are some 13 reports you can evaluate, just in the dashboard feature. Let’s discuss the important ones.
1. Domain Overview
This is the major report that everyone expects from SEMrush.
What you can find here is really incredible, just enter your competitor’s URL and get to know all their traffic secrets in minutes. Let’s enter my blog URL:
- Organic search traffic (day wise as shown in the pic)
- Total no. of backlinks incoming to your site
- Keywords by country (It helps you identify where around the world the URL receives most of its keyword rankings)
- Traffic trends (Organic & paid) with a time period between 1 month, 6, 12, 24 months and all time.
- Top organic keywords (Organic position, the volume, CPC value, traffic % for each keyword)
- Main organic competitors
- Backlinks (Referring URLs, anchor text, backlink type, the ratio of do-follow vs no-follow)
- Referring domains and no. of backlinks incoming from each domain
- Top pages that are attracting the backlinks (indexed pages)
- Paid search traffic stats
For each above report, you can view detailed reporting by clicking ‘view details’.
2. Organic research
- How your site is performing organically?
- How many of your keywords are actually ranking on Google?
- What are the positions of those keywords?
- Organic keywords trend over the particular time (Position changes)
The graph shows changes in the no. of organic keywords your domain has positions for.
3. Backlink Analytics
This report section is very important. Pay attention!
As you can see, I have entered my domain URL here:
You will see the same metrics that you had seen in the ‘domain overview’. Such as Authority score, referring domains, no. of backlinks, keywords. The best part is you can add up to 3 competitors and compare
- Categories of Referring domains – The domains that are referring you, are from which categories actually?
- Authority score – The domains that are referring you, what are their authority scores? On the scale of 0 to 100?
- Backlink types – Is it a text backlink or Image?
- Link attribute – What is the link type? Follow, No follow, sponsored, UGC?
Lost and gain backlinks – This section helps you understand new, lost and the total no. of backlinks currently available for your website.
This feature easily helps you monitor your backlink building efforts and track the performance over time.
- TLD distribution – The domains that are linking to you, what are their extensions?
- Top countries – The top countries sending the most backlinks to your domain
While you explore the options available under ‘overview’, simply click on your backlink number or go to the backlink section that is next to the overview to find out the URLs that are linking to you.
This is a fun and crucial part.
It helps you find which URL is linking to you, to what URL and link type, etc details. This helps you identify 404 URLs of your blog as well as spam and dead links, so that you can get rid of them via Google search console’s disavow tool.
3. Keyword overview
Keyword overview is the tool that gives you a detailed analysis of any keyword that you enter to help you decide whether you should choose it or not.
For example, I entered ‘business ideas’ into it as shown below. Let’s see what it gives.
What do we see here?
It tells us the overall view of a keyword called ‘business ideas’.
- Volume – No. of searches happen in a month
- Keyword difficult – On a scale of 1 to 100 tells you how hard it would be to rank a new website on the 1st page of Google for that keyword. The higher the number, the harder it will be to rank.
- CPC (Cost Per Click) – Average price advertisers pay for a user’s click on an ad run triggered by Google.
- Global volume – As you see in the screenshot, I have selected the region India. So it showed me the volume for India. However, in the next column, you can see the Global volume.
- Results on SERP – Total no. of URLs that appeared when you search the keyword.
- Trend – How the keyword has been performing from the last 12 months. Is the trend going down? Good to avoid the keyword. If high, try!
- Keyword variations – The variations of your main keyword. There are literally 27,234 keywords as you can see in the above screenshot.
- Questions – A list of question-based keywords that contain your main keyword. For example: how to get business ideas.
- Related keywords – A list of keywords that are similar to your main keywords.
Keyword magic tool
By now, we have learned the overview of keyword research section. Now is the time to go deeper about keyword research.
With the SEMrush keyword magic tool, you will be able to fetch a detailed analysis about various seed topics and sub-topics in order to help you make the list of profitable keywords.
Now I again enter the ‘business ideas’ keyword into the bar.
Now the tool will generate a complete listing of all the various related terms as shown below:
- There are a few filters you can set to generate specific results from your main keyword. As you enter your main keyword, you can choose the broad match, phrase match, exact match, or related.
- You can find SERP features opportunities that include the instant answer, knowledge graph, news, images, site links, review, tweets, featured snippets, and so on.
- You can also export the data to XLSX and CSV files with groups.
- Broaden the scope of your keywords list.
- Unleash the new profitable keyword ideas for content.
Keyword gap enables you to compare keyword profiles up to five competitors.
You will need to enter the competitor URLs side by side as shown in the below screenshot:
You can choose the types of keyword rankings (organic, paid or PLA) for each domain before you compare. The tool will generate the report of total keyword overlap, keyword position of each site, top opportunities for each site, and a lot more.
This is a fine tool if you’re planning to achieve results through SEO as you can fetch the best optimization opportunities with the help of your competitors.
It is important that you know where you stand against your competition so that you can shift your extra focus on to it.
4. Create projects and measure the performance
Click on create a new project, enter your domain URL and name for it. In my case, I have entered nettyfeed.com.
What are the benefits of creating a project?
- Site audit
- Position tracking
- On-page SEO optimization
- Social media tracker
- Brand monitoring
- Backlink audit
- Link building
- PPC keyword tool
- Organic traffic insights
- Content analyzer, etc
Now you can click on each section to go for in-depth analysis related to your domain. For example, I am going with ‘Site Audit’. It gives me the overall data related to my site, such as:
- Overall site health
- No. of errors
- No. of warnings
- No. of notices
Again, you can click on each report to view the detailed analysis and find optimization ideas.
Identify broken link building opportunities
Let’s create a new project by adding your competitor URL. Now click on link building and run an audit.
Once the audit is finished you will have the chance to see:
- Link attributes percentage (do-follow, no-follow, sponsored, UGC)
- Top linking anchor names from your site
- Overall bad links: Otherwise, toxic score, the lower it is the better
Go to the ‘Lost & Found’ tab, scroll down the page, and filter the reports with State as Broken and Group by URL.
Now you see the 404 status report of your competitors.
All you need to do is, contact the source link’s website owner and advise them about the broken link. Also, suggest the relevant resource to the owner to link to.
This is a win-win situation. As the owner gets to fix their external link and you get a sweet backlink with no extra efforts.
For example, I click on ‘Warnings’ which I have 59 as of now.
Now click ‘Broken external links’ to see the warnings related to the broken external links.
In my case, I found the 406 errors which are no serious as I know. If you find any errors like 404, make sure you fix such errors asap.
Overall, the site audit is a great tool from SEMrush that helps you audit your site in less time and fix the issues if any.
5. Traffic analytics (Get the inside scoop of the rivals)
This section is to find out where your main competitors invest most of their marketing efforts so that you could adapt their experience in your own style.
Put any website URL and it gives you it’s traffic data like monthly visits, unique visitors, audience behavior, bounce rate, devices, and so many other factors.
Let’s say my competitor is huffingtonpost.com and see what do we get.
Simply put, it is mini Google analytics.
Once you entered the competitor URL, this tool will help you see the traffic source, audience behavior, bounce rate, geolocation-based traffic analytics, top-performing pages, audience overlap report, and so on. It is very important to track and do the analysis of the competitor’s traffic to learn where your efforts are going into.
You can check the traffic sources which help you understand, from where the competitor is getting traffic: Referral, organic, social media, paid, etc.
A list of countries where the users of the competitor came from.
If you want to perform deeper research about your competitors, you need to pay an extra $200/mo to get the SEMrush CI add-on.
Pros and Cons of SEMrush
- The easiest way to find profitable keywords in a blink of an eye.
- Steal the keywords that your competitors are organically ranking for. Yeah, legally!
- All in one SEO tool – Site audit, backlink audit, keyword research, traffic analytics, domain analytics, etc.
- Free to get started without even entering your card details.
- SEMrush has got the largest databases means no matter which niche you’re from, you can make the most out of this tool.
- User manuals on each section that makes you understand features precisely.
- You get the unlimited trial account with limited benefits.
- It is not cheap when I think of it from a newbie or a small business owner’s perception. However, with a free unlimited trial, you could at least know the value that it offers before you invest.
- Sometimes, I feel that reports are not so accurate in the areas of traffic and backlinks.
- The user interface could be more plain and easy to understand.
FAQs about SEMrush keyword research tool tutorial and review
How do I get SEMrush free trial?
SEMrush allows you to try pro account completely for FREE for 7 days.
What are the top features of the SEMrush tool?
SEMrush is considered to be the top keyword research tool. However, it could also be the best chance to learn
- Backlink audit
- Traffic analytics
- Domain analysis
- Keyword trends and performance
- On-page site optimization
- Content audit
- Advertising analysis tool
No matter which country you put up and who is your target industry, you will have a better scope with SEMrush.
According to you, what is the best alternative to the SEMrush tool?
Longtail pro – In fact, I started using it to understand how it stands before the SEMrush tool.
How much does SEMrush cost?
SEMrush currently offers 3 plans that are $99.95/mo, $199.95/mo, $399.95/mo. These plans are billed on a monthly basis and you can cancel anytime if you want.
If you’re planning to get billed annually, you can save a lot. The plans are $83.28/mo, $166.62/mo, $333.28/mo.
Where can I find the video guides and tutorials of SEMrush?
On its official website.
Can I upgrade or degrade to plans at any point in time?
Yes, you can do that. And even you can cancel your subscription anytime with a 7-day back guarantee policy.
What are the payment methods do SEMrush accept?
- All major credit cards
- Wire Transfer/Cheque/Money order (Upon request)
So Is SEMrush good to use?
Absolutely, if you want to grow your online business or blogging in the period.
Well, I have discussed important features of the SEMrush. And I still feel there is a lot to talk about it, by looking at its benefits. Overall, it’s a great SEO tool for content marketers, small businesses, large businesses, digital marketing agencies, and bloggers.
Get your Free SEMrush Pro Trial Account. Enjoy blogging success. Take care for now 🙂