What you are about to read in this guide is what I believe to be the most comprehensive and easiest information about starting a blog in India.
Trust me, you will hit the ground running blogging in less than an hour.
I will not just be helping you learn how to create a blog, but I’ll also be leading the way to you to grow a successful blog from the beginning. Even if you have zero knowledge about blogs.
Excited? Let’s begin.
- How to start a blog in India (from scratch in 2021)
How to start a blog in India (from scratch in 2021)
Step 1: Select a blog niche
Every blog needs to have a niche so as to serve its audience. Niche is typically a specific topic you choose for your blog to publish content around it, like forever.
So, how to find a blogging niche?
Here’s a quick two-step process:
Ask yourself the following two important questions:
#1. What will the objective of my blog be?
It’s a question that needs a serious scrutiny.
- If you will be blogging only as a hobby, then you can have a relaxed approach and pick a niche that you’re just passionate about.
- But blogging for money will need some homework on the table. You have to identify the niche that’s competitive enough so you can earn money.
#2. Does the niche have growth potential?
Get clarity on the revenue part by identifying if the niche have:
- enough traffic-driving keywords?
- affiliate programs to promote and earn money?
- constant upward trend on Google?
- an audience that can buy courses, eBooks if you would offer?
- fellow bloggers that are already making money
If you see yourself answering “yes” for the above questions, then congrats, you can pick that niche to blog without any second thoughts.
Step 2: Choose blogging platform
Now that you have set on the blog topic, you can get to the actual part of setting up your blog – deciding blogging site.
Since blogs are made up of content, deciding to use a CMS (Content Management System) over a traditional HTML website can be beneficial in many ways. Some are:
- You can set up the blog with no coding knowledge
- You can create content easily and manage
- You can design or add the new functionality as you want
The most popular and reliable CMS I recommend is WordPress.org.
Here are 6 reasons why should you choose WordPress.org for your blog:
- It is easy to get started and run hassle-free.
- 58,000+ themes and plugins to work with.
- You will have control over everything; designing, creating, and scaling to monetizing.
- Seamless integration with page builders and tools to make your blog more appealing.
- Extremely customized platform as it is developed on PHP language and can be tweaked as you need.
- Massive community to discuss possibilities and help each other.
So for someone new wanting to start a blog in India, WordPress.org is the absolute classic.
The best thing about WordPress.org is, it is free.
Step 3: Register domain name and set up web hosting
It is fairly simple. Along with the free WordPress facility, you will need to register a domain name and get web hosting to start a blog.
How to register blog’s domain name?
The quick solution: When you go with Bluehost.com, you can register domain name absolutely at free of price.
When deciding a domain name, try to choose creative and easy to remember. Try to brainstorm power words from your niche. You can even use your full name as your blog’s domain. For best results, go for .COM or .ORG extension.
Why Bluehost is my #1 recommendation for someone who want to start a blog in India?
- Officially recommended by WordPress.org
- FREE domain name – Usually, other host providers may charge Rs.700-1500 a year
- Free SSL (Https)
- 1-click blog install feature
- Super fast and helpful customer SUPPORT
- 30-day money back policy
So, what’s the wait for?
Signup for Bluehost.com (Special link for you to grab a free domain)
The next procedure is as follows:
- Opt for WordPress hosting –> Basic plan –> Claim your free domain
- Enter your details for account creation –> Select the plan term –> Add/remove addons –> Purchase
Step 4: Install WordPress on your blog
Follow this in-depth video tutorial that walk you through the process of installing blog on Bluehost step-by-step:
Simply put, after purchasing hosting service, you will get an email from Bluehost with instructions on setting up a WordPress blog.
Step 5: Design your WordPress blog
After running through the 1-click blog installation, you will get to see your new WordPress dashboard. Here’s how it look:
Your next action is to have a professional-looking theme that can go a long way in convincing your readers to stick around a bit longer and possibly buy the advice you give. WordPress has lots of themes (free and paid) that you can choose from. However, two themes that I’ve really been impressed with are Generatepress and Astra. These are clean and give clutter-free appeal to your blog even with their free version.
Basic initial blog settings
#1. Reset your admin password
Weak and default passwords can make your blog prone to getting hacked. So it is important that you create a hard-to-crack password for your blog to prevent Bruteforce attacks.
You can do that by accessing your profile from the dashboard’s top-right area. And then, scroll down to Account Management section, as shown in the image below
#2. Configure general settings
You will need to navigate to Settings –> General to do so.
- Site title: Change the default site title from “My WordPress Site” to your blog name.
- Tagline: By default it is “Just Another WordPress Website”. It should be such that it resembles your blog.
- Membership: Uncheck to avoid spammers.
- New user default role: Subscriber.
- Timezone: Set it up as per your regional time.
#3. Delete default (dummy content)
Upon WordPress installation, a dummy content of “hello world” will be created in your page and post sections by default. It may look as shown in the image below:
Although it does no harm to your blog, it is recommended you delete it too to make your blog and yourself professional.
#4. Change your permalink structure
Permalink refers to the default URL structure of the blog posts you publish. In WordPress, by default, it is www.yoursitename.com/?p=123 which is not professional and SEO-friendly.
To make it right, visit settings–>permalinks and select “post name” structure and save it.
#5. Moderate comments
Don’t give an opportunity for spammers to enter your blog with junk comments. It is crucial you approve the comments before they go live on your blog. Here’s how you set such moderation:
Visit settings–>discussion–> Tick comment must be manually approved option and save.
Well, you now have a blog property on the Internet.
The next step is to create important pages for your blog – Home, About, and Contact.
Don’t go exhausted thinking about what to put on these pages. Think of your potential audience, what you can do for them (Unique Value Proposition), what are you doing currently for them, and how your knowledge aligns with their problems.
Depending on your blog niche, you will have to produce content that generates readership over time.
If you’re still confused what to blog about, here are a few tips:
- Know your audience well so you can write blog posts that resonate with them.
- Explore other bloggers of your niche to get some idea.
- SEMrush tool makes it easy to identify content ideas for your new blog.
While you do everything to drive visitors to your content, you also need to be passionate, authentic and enjoy what you write.
All the mentioned above tips and tactics are the key fundamentals of blogging which I want you to focus on. As you pursue researching and go scaling your content, you can likely achieve organic search rankings and drive more traffic to your blog.
Once you have established steady readership and authority, making money out of your blog should not be grinding.
FAQs about How to start a blog in India
#1. Usually, how much does it cost to start a blog in India?
It can cost you Rs. 200-300/mo for Bluehost web hosting (and you can avail free domain offer for the first year).
#2. Is blogging profitable still or a waste of time in India?
There’s never been a better way and time to start blogging in India and share your wisdom. Read about mind-blowing blogging statistics, then come back and tell me if you still doubt blogging – I bet you don’t!
#3. How do you start a blog for free?
I don’t recommend blogging on free platforms. They do not give you the complete control over any aspect of your blog.
If you’re serious about making money off your blog, or turning it into a business, then investing in a self-hosted blog service like Bluehost is essential. You will sound professional, authority and credible this way once you are off publishing content.
#4. How do I get more discount with Bluehost in India?
There are three ways:
1) Check out if they have seasonal offers with their sales team using “live chat” option.
2) Go for 36 months plan to save more money.
3) Buy on “Blackfriday sale” period that usually starts at the end of November and run for a week in any year.
#5. I just want to blog occasionally about my life-happenings (no strings attached though!). Should I go for free or self-hosted blog?
It depends on the objectives of your blog.
If the goal is to establish blogging business, then WordPress + Bluehost is the right choice. Else, go free.
#6. Do bloggers get paid? If yes, how long does it take for a new blogger to earn money?
Yes, they get paid. I am not promising you any time frame. Blogging success depend on the level of efforts that you put in consistently. However, I see most newbies pick the momentum within 1-2 years.
#7. I’m not good at English, can I start blogging in India?
The best advice is to keep practicing writing every day, it makes you better. Befriend English writers and bloggers throughout so you can improve your English skills. You can also leverage tools like Grammarly.
#8. What type of blogs make the most money?
Some of the niches that have high PPC keywords and can make the big money are finance, sports, gardening, pet, lifestyle, travel, fashion, marketing, health and fitness, food, etc.
#9. How often should I publish content on my blog?
There is no thumb rule for that – Daily, weekly, monthly or even once in a quarter. But be consistent with the schedule you fix.
#10. What is the investment I need to do so as to start blogging?
When you use Bluehost.com, you can just get started with $140 for a total of 36 months along with 12 months of the free domain.
Conclusion – How to start a blog in India from scratch
I hope you have enjoyed reading this tutorial on starting blogging in India. If you have anything to ask or share, please leave me a comment and I will get back to you.
In the meantime, feel free to check out following resources, where you can get more advice on taking your blog to the next level: