Starting a blog has never been so easy as it is today; thanks to WordPress.org and beginner-friendly hosting like Hostpapa – You can hit the ground running with a brand blog in less than 60 minutes!
The game begins then – driving quality traffic to your blog.
I can still recall those days; when I would check my analytics, every hour, hoping that it’d spike somehow.
Now that I have been learning the real deal about blogging, I can tell you that it is not hard to start generating traffic from scratch point; even if you’re total new to industry.
Following are a few smart ways I’d suggest to get traffic to a baby blog:
How to drive instant traffic to a new blog
If you’re not on Quora yet, let go of everything and signup for it. Many bloggers overlook Quora but I feel it as an underrated goldmine. It could be your secret weapon to drive quality traffic to your new blog.
Actually, there are so many ways bloggers can utilize Quora. Check out my guest post on Jeffbullas about Quora marketing for bloggers.
Quora could be the next big deal for you, here’s why:
- It is easy to signup and use
- The right place to find targeted audience and their questions
- Massive potential to build personal branding
Seems interesting? Here are the things to make a splash on Quora:
- Short and sweet – You will need to provide straight forward, short, and yet clear answers. When you’re creating content, think of linking to your blog post to add more credibility to your answer. But make no mistake of spamming it unless you like to be kicked out.
- Be visual – Add informative media to your answers such as Gifs, Images, Infographics, or even videos to make your answers compelling. Also use sub-headings, bold phrases, and bullet points to make your content readable.
- Be consistent – To make Quora love you and offer you more exposure, write answers consistently. You don’t have to write tens or twenties answers a day; start writing one or two each day by abiding by the terms.
- Call To Action – Give the readers a conclusion in your answers. You can add a reference link to your blog or conclude on the Quora itself if it is a one-line or short answer..
- Spaces – Discover and follow spaces (topics) of your interests to learn what’s happening around.
- Profile – Create a profile that stands out, claim your areas of expertise, and add a link to your portfolio. As I said, you don’t have to put a link in every answer that you write. By writing authentic answers, you’re inviting readers to your profile to learn more about you.
Quora is all about adding value to others with your answers, so don’t be shy to put out your opinion. When your answers start getting views and capture the readers’ interests, you can be featured in Quora Newsletters as well.
So start hunting for those big potential questions that could earn you more visibility and traffic.
2. Blog commenting
Blog commenting has been a great tactic for me to drive traffic to my blog posts. The key to generate traffic from blog comments is adding value.
For example, here’s a recent comment that I dropped on InspireToThrive blog:
Notice from the above example:
I began by greeting the author. I mentioned how I enjoyed reading the whole content, specifically a sub-topic and I put my personal view and shared my experience related to it.
Ended the comment with a compliment.
My comment is not
But it is easy to read and informative.
Pretty simple way to drive traffic, right?
How to put blog commenting into practice?
- Signup at Gravatar with an email ID and your real picture
- Whenever you want to put a comment on others’ posts; add your comment, email ID, URL, and name
If you’ve just started with a new blog, say so!
“Hey [author name], I am new to blogging, find your tips as valuable, and I am going to implement for my blog’s growth. Thank you.”
See, so easy it is!
Have I confessed I love Twitter than any other social platform?
Well, I do.
I love using Twitter to add value and build my brand.
Take Twitter to promote and drive traffic to your blog content. But simply tweeting your blog post URLs all the time will not mark and may lead to suspension. You have to be active, creative and engaging on Twitter. Here are some tips that you might love:
- Optimize your profile with an interesting and informative bio with emojis, link, geo-location, and birth date.
- Start creating content that triggers users’ interest to engage; such as questions, polls, videos, short tweets, and even Gifs.
- Always try to use relevant emojis in your posts for better readability. Surveys say that audience is more likely to engage with tweet when it is visually appealing.
- You can also take an intriguing quote from your blog post and give a glimpse to your followers about what’s inside.
- Use popular and relevant hashtags from your niche to give your tweets an extra organic boost.
- Comment on others’ posts consistently.
- Thank the followers who have been engaging with your posts.
- Promote other bloggers by sharing their content to your feed. The key to Twitter selling is to help others as much as you can.
One of the winning things you can do for yourself is to build a Twitter profile and start creating content and engaging. The more you make people engage with your post, the more it reaches organically. So, if the users love what you do on Twitter, they can visit your profile and find a link to your blog.
Say Hi to me on Twitter if you can.
4. Expert roundup
I bet you; expert roundup is the new tactic to grow your blog traffic drastically. So why not spice up your blog!
Expert roundup is the collection of multiple expert opinions about a specific subject. Featuring experts means you are attracting the audience of all those experts’ and producing quality content to your blog as well. This a must-adapt tactic for all the new bloggers, in fact, it works for any level blogger to drive traffic to their blogs.
Just not that!
You could also earn sweet links if done right.
For example: Novocall has organized a perfect roundup post with the insights of 13 experts on how to effectively generate leads for a website.
Undoubtedly, expert roundups drive massive traffic. But how do you create one?
- Pick the topic and come up with a title
- List the experts who you want to invite
- Send an invitation
The beauty of this strategy is that you are not alone in the game. The experts you have featured are going to take the word out.
Mention others often in your content.
Every time you write a blog post, try to find a natural fit to mention friends or bloggers around you. Once you publish it, let the blogger know that you’ve mentioned.
There is high chance that the blogger would return the favor in a form of a shoutout. It not only help you drive traffic to that blog post but also help you get seen by influencers, pros, and fellow bloggers; which we call it networking, an important practice for the long haul.
For example, I mentioned Cori-Leigh in one of my recent blog posts naturally and I let her know. She has shared the post with her thousands of followers and I received a considerable traffic spike. And it didn’t stop with this!
Since I have been following and engaging with her content for a long time, Cori has offered me a guest post opportunity and I accepted it as an honor. Here’s the link to that guest post if you wish to take a look.
See what a win it was for me!
So that’s all for now. If you enjoyed reading this post, please do share it with your friends. And if you’re looking for even more ways, check out Ryan Robinson’s 32 secrets to attract massive blog traffic.